How Do Overseas Landlords Apply for Tax Exemptions

How do Overseas Landlords Apply for Tax Exemptions?

Are you a landlord with one or more properties to rent in London and living abroad for a period exceeding six months? Then, for tax purposes, you are classified as a ‘non-resident’ landlord.  This article explains ‘How Do Overseas Landlords Apply for Tax Exemptions”.

The income you receive from renting your home is taxable in the United Kingdom, that is, rent is not exempt from UK Income Tax. You can pick one of two ways to be taxed:

1. Having your tenant or letting agent deduct tax at source

Letting agents and tenants must make an annual return to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC), declaring respectively how much rent they have paid to or collected for the landlord (you).

Both are required to register with HMRC’s Non-Resident Landlord Scheme within 30 days of starting tenancy.

Agents can file the NRL4i form while tenants can write to the following address:

HM Revenue and Customs
Charities, Savings and International Operations S0708
PO Box 203
L69 9AP

2. Getting your rent in full and filing a self-assessment (SA) tax return

Read More
Send this to a friend