Why Rent Your Home With GLP


There is a huge amount of responsibility to renting out your property and becoming a landlord and we are here to make that process as easy and simple as possible.  We can advise you on all current regulations and, if you instruct us can organise all the necessary checks that come with renting.

Our thorough referencing procedures (both external and internal) ensure we place only the highest calibre of tenants into your property meaning responsible tenants for you and most importantly peace of mind.

We offer a rent guarantee as standard for all our tenancies.

As a UK Landlord you legally need to tick off the following;

  • keep your rented properties safe and free from health hazards
  • make sure all gas and electrical equipment is safely installed and maintained
  • provide an Energy Performance Certificate for the property
  • protect your tenant’s deposit in a government-approved scheme
  • check your tenant has the right to rent your property if it’s in England

Fire safety

It’s your responsibility to:

  • fit and test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms
  • follow fire safety regulations for property in a purpose-built block of flats or for houses and property adapted into flats

Health and safety inspections

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is used by your council to make sure that properties in its area are safe for the people who live there. This involves inspecting your property for possible hazards, eg uneven stairs.

If you own a property and rent it out, the council may decide to do an HHSRS inspection because:

  • your tenants have asked for an inspection
  • the council has done a survey of local properties and thinks your property might be hazardous

HHSRS hazard ratings

Inspectors look at 29 health and safety areas and score each hazard they find as category 1 or 2, according to its seriousness.

You must take action on enforcement notices from your council. You also have the right to appeal enforcement notices.

The council can do any of the following if they find a serious hazard:

  • issue an improvement notice
  • fix the hazard themselves and bill you for the cost
  • stop you or anyone else from using part or all of the property

Financial responsibilities

You have to pay:

  • Income Tax on your rental income, minus your day-to-day running expenses
  • Class 2 National Insurance if the work you do renting out property counts as running a business

If you have a mortgage on the property you want to rent out, you must get permission from your mortgage lender.

Our Property Management team are always available to answer any questions you may have. Please call our team on 0207 734 4062 or email info@glp.co.uk.

Send this to a friend